The use of crystals dates back thousands of years and is still a very popular practice today. Crystals are used as healing tools, for meditation purposes, as decoration and so much more. The crystal you choose to purchase should be chosen based on your needs and what the crystal itself will help with in your life.
The best crystals for you are the ones that will help you achieve your goals, whether materially or spiritually. If you’re interested in crystal healing, but aren’t sure where to start, this article is a great place to learn some basics.
In this article, we’ll discuss which crystals can be used for specific purposes and how they can benefit your life. With so many options available on the market today it’s important to know what types of stones are going to work best for you.
By choosing the correct stone based on its metaphysical properties, or other factors, one will be able to enjoy all of their benefits while avoiding any negative side-effects that may occur from using incompatible stones.
Be mindful that each crystal has a different energy associated with it. You may resonate with more than one stone, so feel free to experiment to find the crystals that are right for you.
How to Choose the Best Crystals for Every Purpose
There are several ways you can use in choosing the right healing crystal for you.
What Crystal Do I need: Choose Your Crystal by Intuition
The direct way to find your crystal is by using the first impression that comes to you.
- Look at a group of crystals, in a physical store or online.
- Close your eyes and relax.
- Ask yourself: “What crystal do I need?”
- Open your eyes. The first crystal you see is the one you should pick.
How to Use a Pendulum to Choose Your Crystal
- First you have to program your pendulum with a code for yes and no answers.
- Once you understand the movements of the pendulum, hover the pendulum over each crystal in order and mentally ask, “Is this the right crystal for me?”.
- Depending on how you had programmed it to answer, you will then get a yes or no response.
Pendulum dowsing is a technique that requires training and practice. If you’re interested in learning more about using crystal pendulum for spiritual and energetic purposes, check out this guide on How to Use a Crystal Pendulum for Clarity, Guidance and Energy Work.
If you are not already experienced with dowsing, then follow your intuition to find the right crystals.
Letting Your Crystal Find You
This method is close to the “intuition” method above, but it is different.
Sometimes while looking at a group of crystals, you may feel a strong affinity with one particular crystal or stone. You may resonate with that crystal without knowing the reason why. Then, follow your urge and pick that crystal. In this case, the crystal has “found you”! You were meant to have it!
Choose a Crystal by Intention
Pick a crystal that will help you manifest your desired goal. The inner voice in the back of your mind is what guides you towards things you want to do or improve in your life. Once you know your purpose, then it’s easy finding which crystals or stones resonate with your intention.
Every crystal has its own unique properties and frequencies that work for different purposes. By choosing the correct stone based on its metaphysical properties, one will be able to enjoy all of their benefits while avoiding any negative side-effects that may occur from using incompatible stones.
Healing crystals have been used for years to improve health, happiness and well-being. The highly ordered structure of crystals resonates at specific frequencies that can help us achieve our goals in life whether it be to manifest love, money, success, protection or general well-being, there’s a crystal for you that can help.
The best way to find the best crystals for each condition you want to manifest or improve, is by taking a look at our crystals by intentions page, where you will find many crystal guides on which crystals are best for certain conditions and how to use them, so take some time exploring.
Once you’ve chosen your crystal, the best way to set an intention is to hold the crystal in your hand and close your eyes. Visualize the outcome or goal that you’d like to achieve, and then mentally or verbally state your intention for the crystal. For example, if you’re looking to attract love into your life, you might say something like “I intend for this crystal to help me attract loving relationships into my life. Read our complete guide to setting intentions with crystals.
Choose a Crystal by Chakra
Chakras refer to the seven energy centers or vortices in the body. Chakras are the energy transducers for subtle energy. Each Chakra corresponds to certain areas of the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual levels of our being. Each Chakra has a corresponding color, crystal, and function.
When our Chakras are open and balanced, we feel healthy and well. When a Chakra is blocked or unbalanced, then we will experience problems corresponding to that Chakra’s functions.
Each Chakra has associated crystals that will help balance or unblock this particular Chakra.
Once you know which Chakra it is that needs balancing or unblocking, then the best crystals for your Chakra will be more clear.
To help you know what Chakras you need to balance, the following Chakra list may be helpful:
The 7 Chakras, their colors, functions and corresponding crystals:
- Root Chakra: The Root Chakra is the first Chakra or Muladhara, meaning it deals with basic human survival. Located at the base of our spine this powerful point provides stability and grounding for us in life’s most challenging moments-both physical needs as well as emotional security are fulfilled by its strength. Here is my guide to the best crystals for the Root Chakra.
- Sacral Chakra: The Sacral Chakra is the second Chakra, located at our lower abdomen. It’s Sanskrit name means sweetness and it symbolizes pleasure, sexuality, movement and change. Here is my guide to the best crystals for the Sacral Chakra.
- Solar Plexus Chakra: The Solar Plexus Chakra is the 3rd Chakra and it’s between your belly button and base of your sternum. Its Sanskrit name, “Manipura” means lustrous gem or radiant jewel in English translation; referring to its powerful connection with personal power while still feeling at home amongst other human beings like one big family. Here is my guide to the best crystals for the Solar Plexus Chakra.
- Heart Chakra: The Heart Chakra is located at your chest and has more power than any other Chakra. The Heart Chakra is associated with unconditional love as well compassion for all living creatures. Here is my guide to the best crystals for the Heart Chakra.
- Throat Chakra: The Throat Chakra is located at the base of our necks and symbolizes communication. The Sanskrit name for this area, Vishuddha means “purification.” It’s about being able to express yourself freely in any situation that arises without fear or anxiety. Here is my guide to the best crystals for the Throat Chakra.
- Third Eye Chakra: The Third Eye Chakra is our sixth Chakra. It’s called Ajna in Sanskrit, meaning to perceive or know and located above and between the eyebrows it handles intuition or pure knowing. Here is my guide to the best crystals for the Third Eye Chakra.
- Crown Chakra: The Crown Chakra represents enlightenment, self realization and Divine Self.. The way you see yourself sets the tone for your world. When we are in harmony with our core being or essence through this Chakra then it brings forth a sense of wholeness that transcends anything else on earth. Here is my guide to the best crystals for the Crown Chakra.
Choose a Crystal that Corresponds with your Zodiac Sign
Another way to choose a crystal is to find out what your Sun Sign is and checkout the Zodiac crystals that correspond with your astrological sign. You can also use your Moon Sign or your Rising Sign. Then follow your intuition and pick the crystal or crystals that resonate most with you.
- Aries (March 21 – April 19): The Aries are a fearless and energetic bunch. They love to take risks, even when it comes at the expense of their own safety or well-being. Aries will always do anything for adventure which includes being impulsive with people who aren’t worth your time (and energy). Crystals for Aries include Bloodstone, Carnelian, Jasper and Citrine. Here’s my full guide to the best crystals for Aries.
- Taurus (April 20 – May 20): Taurus are known for being loyal, loving people that have a tendency of getting stuck in one place. On the other hand they can also become possessive and inflexible if you don’t keep them on their toes. Zodiac crystals for Taurus include Sapphire, Malachite, Jade and Amber. Here’s my full guide to the best crystals for Taurus.
- Gemini (May 21 – June 20): Gemini people are the most verbal and witty in their communication. On the flip side, they can be inconsistent when it comes to following through with what you say because of this tendency for nervousness caused by too much thinking about how others perceive them or what’s going on around them at all times. Crystals for the Sign of Gemini include Agate, Chalcedony and Fire Quartz. Check out my guide to the best crystals for Gemini.
- Cancer (June 21 – July 22): Cancerians are known for being emotional and loving, intuitive and imaginative. They can also have some negative qualities which include changeable moods or tendency towards over empathy in certain situations. Cancerians resonate with Emerald, Moonstone and Citrine. Check out my article on the best crystals for the Cancer Zodiac.
- Leo (July 23 – August 22): Leos are the most loyal, kind and loving of all zodiac signs. They’re also hyper-sensitive to criticism which can make them bossy or interfering at times. Leos resonate with Onyx, Pyrite, and Topaz. Here’s my guide to the best crystals for Leo, for a full list.
- Virgo (August 23 – September 22): Virgos are ambitious and hardworking, loving to work in detail. They can be critical when it comes down to their priorities but for the most part they do everything with dedication which makes them trustworthy souls who will never let you down. Crystals for Virgo include Carnelian, Chrysoberyl and Aventurine. Here’s my full guide to the best crystals for Virgo.
- Libra (September 23 – October 22): Libras are diplomatic, romantic and charming; easygoing but with an idealistic edge that can lead them down paths of self-indulgence or criticism if not tempered by wisdom through experience as well as kindness. Libras resonate most with Peridot, Jade, Aventurine and Tourmaline. Check out my complete guide to the best crystals for Libras.
- Scorpio (October 23 – November 21): Scorpios are the passionate and emotional people of this world. On one hand, they can be those who have all these great qualities but need a little help from time to take things easier. Scorpio crystals include Aquamarine, Rose Quartz, and Rhodochrosite. You can check out my article about the best crystals for Scorpio.
- Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21): Sagittarius are optimistic, honest and intellectual people. They can come across as superficial to some because of their love for the latest fashion trends or tendency towards oversharing on social media but in general they’re just trying to find out what makes other humans tick so that we all get along better together. Sagittarius crystals include Topaz, Turquoise and Lapis Lazuli. Here is my article about the best crystals for Sagittarius.
- Capricorn (December 22 – January 19): Born under the Capricorn sun sign, you are a practical and prudent individual who is ambitious but disciplined. You can be patient when necessary as well. Capricorn crystals include Ruby, Hematite, Onyx, Jet and Obsidian. To learn more, read my article on the best crystals for Capricorn.
- Aquarius (January 20 – February 18): Aquarius are known for being friendly, honest and loyal. On the negative side they can be unpredictable with a detachment from reality that makes them seem cold-hearted or aloof to others around them. Aquarius crystals include Garnet, Amethyst, Turquoise. Check out my guide to the best crystals for Aquarius.
- Pisces (February 19 – March 20): The typical Piscean has an intuitive nature as well as one prone towards imagining complicated scenarios where solutions will bring happiness if not joyous tears. Pisces crystals include Amethyst, Sugilite and Fluorite. Check out my article on the best crystals for Pisces.
Choose a Crystal that Corresponds with Your Ruling Planet
Astrology and gemstones have been used for centuries as a way to tap into the energies of each planet. By wearing crystals that correspond with the energy of a certain planet, you can align yourself with positive energies while avoiding negative ones. If this is something you’re interested in doing, we recommend looking up which crystal corresponds with your ruling Zodiac planets so that you can find out how it might help improve your life.
We have a comprehensive guide to the crystals and stones that correspond with each planet, which you can find here. With this information in hand, it’s easy for anyone to align themselves with the positive energies of any planet they want just by wearing its crystal on their body.
Above all, always trust your intuition. If all else fails, just allow your crystal will find you!
Choose a Crystal that Corresponds with Your Zodiac Element
The ancients believed the world to be composed of 4 basic elements–Fire, Water, Air and Earth. They were considered the critical energy forces that sustained life. All of these elements are integral parts of matter or the physical universe, and the human body is a physical creation existing in the material realm. For this reason, human beings were seen to be made of and governed by the four elements.
Find what your ruling Zodiac element is, and get one of your ruling elemental crystals to enhance and strengthen your positive aspects.
Fire Zodiac Element
The Fire element is a driving force that sparks creativity and personal power. The fiery energy of the Fire element is present in every living thing and ignites our sense of passion and motivation. This powerful, masculine energy can be channeled to empower ourselves and others when we tap into its creative potential.
The Fire element enhances the positive qualities of Aries, Leo, & Sagittarius Zodiac signs, and balances the negative qualities of the opposite Zodiac signs: Cancer, Scorpio, & Pisces.
The Fire element is associated with the colors red and orange. Some of the Fire element crystals are:
- Fire Opal
- Fire agate
- Red Jasper
Earth Zodiac Element
The Earth element rules protection, stability, abundance and growth. It is an abundant and stable energy that can be used to ground oneself during times of change. The earth also offers grounding as it is the natural foundation for all other elements.
The Earth element enhances the positive qualities of Taurus, Virgo, & Capricor Zodiac signs, and balances the negative qualities of the opposite Zodiac signs: Gemini, Libra, & Aquarius.
The Earth element is associated with the colors green and brown. Some of the Earth element crystals are:
- Moss agate
- Black Tourmaline
Air Zodiac Element
The element of Air is often associated with intellect and communication. This can be seen in the symbol for air, which is a feather representing knowledge. Air also represents change, new beginnings, and movement.
The Air element enhances the positive qualities of Gemini, Libra, & Aquarius Zodiac signs, and balances the negative qualities of the opposite Zodiac signs: Taurus, Virgo, & Capricorn.
The Air element is associated with the colors yellow, white and light blue. Some of the Air element crystals are:
- Blue lace agate
- Rock crystal
- Yellow Amber
- Tiger’s Eye
- Golden Topaz
Water Zodiac Element
Water is the element that represents emotions, intuition, and love. The water element is often associated with healing because it can cleanse away imperfections. It also symbolizes communication and understanding as well as patience and compassion.
The Water element enhances the positive qualities of Cancer, Scorpio, & Pisces Zodiac signs, and balances the negative qualities of the opposite Zodiac signs: Aries, Leo, & Sagittarius.
The Water element is associated with the colors blue and black. Some of the Water Element crystals are:
- Blue Calcite
- Lapis Lazuli
- Blue Topaz
Choose a Crystal by Color
Color is a powerful tool. It has the ability to influence moods, emotions, feelings, and thoughts. The same colors can be used for healing purposes by applying them with intention towards certain areas of the body where they are needed most. Different colored crystals have different meanings that correlate with different parts of your body as well as what each color means in general. For example, choose red crystals for strengthening the life force, will and sexuality. Choose orange crystals to increase joy, happiness and personal power.
We have prepared a comprehensive guide to help you choose a healing crystal by color, which you can find here. This guide covers the healing properties and benefits of color crystals, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, purple, pink, brown, black and white crystals. With this information at hand, it’s easy for anyone to choose the right colored crystal that aligns with their purpose.
Above all, always trust your intuition. If all else fails, just allow your crystal will find you!
Choose a Beginners Crystal Kit
A great way to start enjoying the healing powers of crystals is with a beginners crystals kit, which will have all you need in one convenient package.
We recommend starting with the Healing Crystals Set for Beginners, which you can conveniently find on Amazon. This beautiful crystals kit will help you start or grow your own crystal collection. 20 different kinds of stones are included in the package, which can be used experimentally with energies and properties like protection from negative energy, Chakra work and meditation. There’s something here for everyone.
Where to Buy Crystals
Once you experiment with a beginners crystal set, you may want to explore crystal shops online and browse all kinds of healing crystals, and crystal jewelry in order to find the right crystals for your needs. Checkout our guide on some of the best places to buy crystals on Amazon, easily and conveniently from the comfort of your own home.
If you’re interested in learning more about the power of crystals and how to use them, check out some of our recommended books on crystals and stones. These resources can help a beginner understand how to work with these powerful tools for healing and transformation.
With so many crystals to choose from, it can be hard for people to figure out which is the best stone. The best way to find your perfect crystal is by following your intuition and deciding what you want the crystal for. What is your intention? What do you want to use it for? Do you need the crystals for love, money, success?
There are many other methods we discussed as well. Some people choose stones based on the Chakras, while others select them according to their Zodiac signs. Others choose crystals for their beauty or to decorate their home.
In the end it all comes down to your intuition. If all else fails, just allow your crystal will find you!
Last Updated on March 13, 2023
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
All content is strictly for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, medical or other expert advice.