Are you a crystal enthusiast? Or are you just starting to build your crystal collection? Whether you’re looking for tips on how to store crystals or how to organize them, this article is for you. We’ll go over the different types of crystal storage and organizational systems, as well as what type of crystals should be stored in each one.
Crystal enthusiasts vary greatly in their needs when it comes to storing their prized possessions. Some might need a way to keep all their crystals organized while they travel, others may want a system that keeps their crystals accessible at home while still having some semblance of order.
Luckily there are many options out there so no matter what kind of collector you are or what your needs happen to be there’s something for your needs.
How to Store Crystals and Organize Them
There are different ways to organize and store your crystal collection, but it really boils down to personal preference. Organizing your crystals makes it easy for you to find the right crystal when you need it.
Here are some examples of storing and organizing your crystals, especially if you have a large collection:
- Storing Crystals By Color: You can group crystals by their color energy. For example, Red Jasper, Ruby, Garnet, and Red Carnelian will go together.
- Storing Crystals By Chakra: If you are mostly using crystals for Chakra healing you may want to group each Chakra’s stones together. For example, Root Chakra stones are grouped together, as well as each of the other Chakras.
- Storing Crystals By Crystal Family: If you have a variety of crystals in a few crystal families, you can group the stones and crystals in each family together. For example all your Amethyst crystals will be grouped together.
- Storing Crystals By Use or Intention: Many people use crystals for various intentions or purposes. If you have a group of crystals that you frequently use for meditation, you may want to keep these crystals together in a box or bag. Many people use crystals for manifesting, money, love, success, etc. So it makes sense to group crystals by use or purpose.
- Storing Crystals By Size: If you have a collection that includes crystals of different sizes, then it makes sense to group crystals by their sizes.
- Storing Crystals By Shape: If you have crystals that are cut into shapes like pyramids, hearts, wands, pendulums, you may prefer to group similar shapes together.
- Storing Crystals By Rough or Tumbled: It is a good practice not to mix rough stones with tumbled stones. You may separate them into subgroups.
- Storing Crystals by Hardness or Delicacy: It is important to know which crystals are fragile, so you may keep them in individual silk pouches. You may also want to separate hard crystals from soft crystals. The Mohs Minerals Hardness scale will give you the degree of hardness for each stone, which might prove helpful in organizing your crystals.
Do not limit yourself to one system of storage or organization. You can use various methods according to your individual needs. For example, if your main use of crystals is Chakra healing, you may prefer to group your crystals by Chakra, or by Chakra color. If you have a mix of rough stones and tumbled stones, you may prefer to group them accordingly, and so on.
Now let’s look at some storage solutions for your crystals or crystal jewelry.
Best Containers for Organizing and Storing Crystals
There are different ways you can keep crystals safely stored. For a small collection, you can store crystals in velvet bags, but for a larger collection, or for long term storage, it is recommended that you use sturdy boxes with compartments for storage, such as:
- Plastic containers such as clear bead boxes are excellent for storing crystals. Not only they close tightly and block humidity, but they are also clear so you can see your crystals even when they are closed. Some boxes also come with dividers and compartments where you can store crystals individually. Some crystal enthusiasts cushion each compartment with a soft material such as a cloth or cotton to add an extra layer of protection. Best use a soft fabric lined trays with dividers. I especially like those jewelry storage trays on Amazon.
- Wooden boxes are the strongest and most protective. They are also more natural than plastic. Some wooden storage boxes come with compartments and a glass lid, so you can view the contents of the box.
- Jewelry boxes with dividers that allow you to both organize and display your crystals or crystal jewelry. They have the added advantage of being lined with cloth or velvet. We like this 3-Drawer wooden jewelry box with a glass top.
- Drawstring bags or velvet pouches can be used for travel or everyday use. Using natural material, such as silk pouches, or leather pouches will help act as an energy protector to protect your crystals from external psychic contamination or negative energies. Because drawstring bags are soft, they are recommended for tumbled stones rather than raw crystals with rough edges which can chip or break.
Tips on Using Containers for Storing Crystals
- You can label individual compartments with the name of the crystal or type or Chakra, according to the system you are implementing.
- For delicate crystals you can wrap each crystal individually with tissue or cloth.
- To protect a certain crystal from negative vibrations, you can wrap it in a piece or silk cloth, before placing it in a container.
- You may like to display some of your crystals in your room. In this case you can use a wooden shelf where you can display your favorite crystals in your office or bedroom.
Why Storing Crystals Properly is Important
- Some crystals are sensitive to temperature which means they should not be stored in direct sunlight or near anything that emits heat.
- Other crystals are sensitive to humidity levels.
- Some crystals are more fragile than others, so if you place them with crystals that are harder on the Mohs Hardness Scale, they might get chipped or fractured. It is a good idea to check the hardness of each crystal you own, which will help you decide the best way to store it.
In this section we will go over how to best organize and store your crystal collection and keep your crystals safe and protected.
Protecting Crystals From the Sun
The sun can have a negative effect on some crystals, so it is important that they are not kept in the sun for a long time. Some crystals should not be exposed to direct sunlight because of the risk of fading or cracking.
It is recommended that you keep the following crystals somewhere cool and away from windows where the sun shines through.
- Rose Quartz
- Smokey Quartz
Protecting Crystals From Water
Crystals are beautiful and natural. They can be used for numerous purposes such as healing energy, crystal meditations, or even to use in a space clearing.
However some crystals, if they get wet or near water, can cause them to dissolve.
The following list contains some of the most common crystals that should not be in contact with water or kept near water, As some may rust, fracture or even dissolve in water
- Desert Rose
Make sure you store the above crystals away from any sources of moisture (like a sink) and make sure they are completely dry before you store them again.
Protecting Crystals from Scratches or Fractures
Crystals are fragile, so it’s important you know how to store them properly. This will help protect your crystals and stones from scratches or fractures that can happen with improper handling.
Some crystals are more fragile than others. Make sure you do not store fragile crystals with harder ones in the same box. Bigger harder crystals can scratch or break smaller or more fragile stones.
Protecting Crystals from Negative Vibrations
Storing crystals when not in use, will prevent them from acquiring negative energies from the environment or from people handling them.
We want you to enjoy your healing crystal collection as much as we do by taking care of them properly so they can work their magic on you for years to come.
The guidelines we’ve provided on how to store crystals are not exhaustive, but they should provide you with a good starting point for organizing your personal crystal collection.
There is no one answer on how to store crystals and organize them. Finding the optimal system for your needs depends on the size of your crystal collection, the type of crystals you have, and how you use your crystals. Try some of methods suggested in this article to organize and store your crystals, and see what works best for your needs.
If you’re interested in learning more about the power of crystals and how to care for them, check out some of our recommended books on crystals and stones. These resources can help you understand how to work with these powerful tools for healing and transformation.
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
All content is strictly for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, medical or other expert advice.